Thursday, July 5, 2012

Nautical Maritime Flag Bunting

Ever wonder how to make a Flag Garland, or "Bunting"?

These are great for parties or decorating the house (mine was a nautical maritime bunting for a clam bake). You can also make cute ones for a baby's room. Here are a few inspirational buntings:



Thanks to Sweet Tidings for the picture ^...

There are so many different styles you can create!

Here's one from The Fabric Shopper:

 






Mine was made using a Tutorial from Craftiments (Thanks Guys!):


Their lovely picture:

Craftiments.com:  Free Printable Maritime Signal Flag Bunting









Okay, so the picture isn't quality (someday I'll make enough to buy a great camera!) ....Yes the wallpaper is made up of ducks, and no I didn't pick it. This is a temporary home so we deal with the decor ;).....




First step: Print the tutorial from the Craftiments site or any site you chose. There are many versions (square, triangle, round, paper, fabric etc). The best part is you can find an idea and be creative to create your own masterpiece! I just happened to adore this idea as it fit with the theme of my party :)!

Second Step: I cut out the tutorial template that was provided and found a ribbon to match (I chose blue).




Third Step: I lined the paper along the ribbon to approximate the length I wanted it. The next step involves folding the paper over on the ribbon. I used a ruler to measure the flags so I could keep it even.. I tried...






Fourth Step: Using tape I first taped the ribbon to the center (inside portion) of the paper. You want the outside showing. Then I glued the inside and folded it over. The tape really helps to hold the  ribbon in place so it isn't sliding around after you glue it down. I made this mistake the first time because after I glued it down I realized the flag still moved. (Tip you can also use a cement glue if you have it).

You can see the line where you fold in half. I have this the wrong side up to show the line that's folded. The taping will be done on the reverse side.



Fifth Step: Continue to measure, tape, and glue and soon enough you'll have a bunting in about 15 minutes! (Tip: If you want them to be flat you can always rest books on them while they dry).







End Result....












Please let me know how yours came out! Did you make it from scratch with fabric? Have fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment